Red Lips – A Valentine’s Day Staple
Whether you’re preparing for date-night with your significant other or a fun night on-the-town with your girlfriends for Galentine’s day - a red lip is a must. A lot of people stay away from bright lip colors, but a red lip is a classic look that is effortlessly chic on anyone. The following tips can help you master the perfect red pout:
1. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate… and Scrub: Hydration is a key factor to beautiful, healthy looking lips. Prior to putting on your perfect red shade, make sure you scrub your lips to get rid of any dry skin. This will prepare a smooth, plump canvas for you to work with.
2. Line Your Lips: Red lipsticks are notorious for bleeding outside the lines of your lip. A lip liner will not only prevent that, but it will also give you more control over the lip shape you would like to achieve. I would recommend matching the shade of your lip liner to your chosen lipstick for a cohesive look.
3. Pick Your Ideal Shade and Formula: With so many shades to pick from, it can be overwhelming to narrow down the options for the right lip color. Cool toned reds (shades with a blue undertone) are known to pop against fair skin. Warmer reds that have a yellow/orange undertone compliment medium/olive skin tones very well. Darker skin tones pull-of deep and a more intense red pout. The lipstick formula also plays an important role. Matte lips last all night and don’t require much touch-up. Keep in mind that they emphasize dry lips - so step 1 is particularly important in this case. Dewy lips look great and youthful but will transfer easily and require frequent re-application.
4. Apply the Color with a Lip Brush: After you pick your ideal shade, use a lip brush to apply it with precision. Lip brushes are an underrated makeup tool. They allow you to control the intensity of the color and allows for an even application every time.
5. Conceal Imperfections: A concealer and a precision brush can cover up any mistakes you make during your application. This really ties the look together and makes for a crisp and precise red lip.
6. Prevent Transfer to Teeth: We’ve all been there... To avoid looking like you bit in to your lipstick, take your finger and place your lips around it. When you pull your finger out, it wipes the lipstick that was on the inside of your lips. You can now confidently show off your pearly whites without worrying about lipstick on your teeth!